This week I decided to try whole grain sorghum. I used Bob’s Red Mill brand and followed the cooking directions below. It still seemed a little crunchy after cooking for an hour and there was still quite a bit of liquid, so I cooked it an extra 30 minutes. Whole grain sorghum has a crunchy, nutty taste, a bit like brown rice or wild rice. It absorbs the flavors of whatever seasoning you put in it. I found this recipe to be really tasty and filling. It needed some color so I added 2 cups of fresh baby spinach when I put in the onions and walnuts.
- 1 cup uncooked sorghum grain
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water (I used beef broth – I already had it)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (or butter)
- 8 oz. container of button mushrooms, sliced (about 12-15 mushrooms)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7-8 green onions, chopped (could also use 1 sweet onion, diced and caramelize for a different flavor)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pecans, almonds or pine nuts would be good too)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, Romano or other sharp cheese + more for serving/garnish (1-2 Tbsp. per serving)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For cooking sorghum – stove method
In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of broth (or water) to a boil (if using water add salt for seasoning). You can also add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add sorghum grain, return to a simmer and cook until tender, about 60 minutes. (I cooked it about 90 min.) Drain thoroughly. You can also use a rice cooker. Set cooker to rice mode and cook according to manufacturers instructions with the same amount of liquid.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat oil (or butter) over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in green onions and walnuts and cook until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add cooked sorghum to the pan until warmed through, about one minute. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among serving dishes, garnish with additional cheese and enjoy!
Serves 4 (as main dishes). This recipe is from Natural Noshing.
Here are a few other places to buy whole grain sorghum online, if you can’t find it at your local grocer:
I was sleeping in my favorite chair today and then I smelled something REALLY good and came in the kitchen to see WHAT Maizy was cooking. I had to stare at her a really long time, but FINALLY she let me lick the bowl. Yummy!