Here is another salad recipe that contains whole grain sorghum. I found the recipe at Mother Earth Living, and I changed it up a little to use ingredients I had on hand. I used apples instead of raisins, a small, whole white onion instead of green onion and I used the whole can of coconut milk, which was about 1½ cups. It turned out very good and I think it could be served cold or hot.
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 small apple, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Cook sorghum with the 3 cups of water and salt until tender and water is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- To make the dressing, combine coconut milk, rice vinegar, curry powder and chili powder in a large bowl. Place sorghum, carrots, apples and chopped onion in the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes 4-6 servings.
After this sits in the refrigerator overnight the sorghum really soaks up the curry and coconut flavors!
Everything outside is starting to turn GREEN and it makes me want to ROLL in the grass and lay in the sunshine. I LOVE green! Happy Easter everyone!