It is important to get enough B-vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folate), iron, and fiber if you are eating a gluten-free diet. Here are some tips to help you get enough good nutrition.
- Choose whole grain, gluten-free products whenever possible. Look for products containing whole grain sorghum, whole grain rice, millet, teff, or corn.
- Choose enriched, gluten-free products instead of refined, unenriched products whenever possible. Here are a few companies providing enriched, gluten-free products:
– Ener-G Foods: Manufactures enriched ready-to-eat, glutenfree bread products
– Glutino: Manufactures enriched ready-to-eat, gluten-free bread products and enriched baking mixes
– Maplegrove Food and Beverage: Manufactures enriched, gluten-free pasta
– Enjoy Life Foods: Manufactures enriched, glutenfree breads, bagels, snack bars, and granola
– Kinnikinnick Foods: Manufactures enriched, glutenfree bread products
– Gluten Free Cafe: Manufactures enriched soups and entrees
- Eat more foods made with alternative plant foods, such as amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat. These plant foods are good sources of fiber and iron as well as some B-vitamins.
- Eat other enriched, gluten-free foods such as enriched rice.
- Make sure to eat plenty of non-grain sources of the nutrients your body needs. For example:
– Lean cuts of fresh pork, legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils), nuts, and fish are good sources of thiamin.
– Dairy products, legumes, nuts, green leafy vegetables, and mushrooms are good for riboflavin.
– Eat poultry, fish, lean cuts of fresh pork, legumes, and seeds for niacin.
– Choose legumes, green leafy vegetables, and fruit juices for folate.
– You can get iron from lean cuts of beef, poultry, seafood, legumes, dried fruits, green leafy vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
– All plant foods—fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds, and nuts—are good sources of fiber.
- Consider taking a gluten-free multivitamin and mineral supplement
Maizy told me she needs more exercise so I have to take her for a walk EVERY DAY. We have fun walking together, so I don’t mind doing this to take care of her.